Saturday, April 21, 2012

Blog GO!

So, I'd pretty much decided not to record my progress in putting together a Mendelmax variant of the RepRap family of 3d printers, but then Kludgineer released an improved set of parts for Mendelmax (V1.5). He's made raft of improvements on the version 1 Mendelmax and after doing some googling it became apparent that no-one (that I can find) has documented a 1.5 build yet, so, here is my (likely feeble) attempt.
I don't have the time and inclination to start from first principles with respect to build process, prerequisites etc, there's plenty of information out there for those who might be inclined to find it. However, in saying that, if you have stumbled across this in an effort to find some starting point on a journey to building your own printer, I'll do my best to put down what I have learned so far.
Anyway, a couple of months ago, I had a passing understanding of 3d printers and was under the impression that they were awesome but also prohibitively expensive for the married man with small child. Then randomly, I came across the RepRap family and suddenly realized I could build my own printer. I came very close to starting construction on a Prusa Mendel but at the last moment, discovered the Mendelmax, which to my eye, provided the maximum rigidity and ease of assembly. I'm sure this is probably not everyone's opinion but, it seemed that folks with Prusas would 'upgrade' to Mendelmax. So, with that decision made, I started looking at where to source the various 'Vitamins' required to build a Mendelmax.

Living in new Zealand, as I do, it became apparent that the vast majority of the components that I wanted to purchase were not readily available in NZ. If you live in Europe or the States, It should be pretty easy to source all the bits you need. There's a bill of materials available  that details the majority of the components here. Depending on your choice of components, there can be some extra bit's you'll require. I will, at some stage list the places that you can source parts from in NZ.

There are some choices to make when you start speccing up a machine so, in my case, here is what I went for (after a lot of research):


Basic Mechanics
  • Mendelmax spec extruded aluminium from Misumi
  • GT2 belts and pulleys for y and X axis - these are apparently the ones to go for if you want optimum accuracy as exhibit extremely low 'backlash', won't go into the specifics of it here but an explanation of what backlash is and why you don't want it is here.
  • Acme Lead Screws and nuts for the Z axis - this is a better alternative than just using threaded rod and nut's as threaded rod is not designed to be used in moving parts, has lower tolerances, is made of mild steel/stainless etc etc.
  • Self lubricating brass bearings - can't remember why I decided on these over all the other choices out there but there was a reason, it may even have been a good one.
  • 8mm smooth stainless steel rod for x,y,z - In hindsight, I might have gone for 10mm for the Z axis because that's what Kludgineer recommends for the 1.5 but there is mixed anecdotal evidence that it makes a huge difference - I've printed Z parts that accomodate for 10mm and then some 10-8mm reducers where required so I can always upgrade later. This is just high grade stainless rod - not 'Drill Rod' as some recommend, so we'll have to see how it performs with the brass bushings.
  • Some other things TBC when i remember them.
  • 608 skate bearings, screws, nuts, more screws, washers etc etc.
Printed parts.
  • Vanilla Mendelmax 1.5 components as found here. I've used the X ends found in the .zip file for the parts because they looked pretty more than anything, mistake in hindsite as it turns out they're designed for  specific type of leadscrew nut that I didn't purchase :(. Not great show stopper as I'll just fabricate some sort of temporary adaptor and then print a permanent one once the machine is working.
  • X carriage for the 8mm brass bushings found here
  • Y rod ends to allow me to move the y rod spacing in the future without printing new ones, found here.
  • Y carriage saddle brackets for the 8mm brass bushings found here. I'll produce a proper y-carriage at some stage but these will suffice in the mean time.
  • Greg's Wade Reloaded Extruder - Found here.
Electronics
  • Nima 17 stepper motors.
  • Polulu stepper drivers
  • RAMPS 1.4 stepper interface board
  • Some sort of end stop switch for z axis (TBC)
  • Arduino Mega controller/IO/processor/brain type-thing.
  • Lot's of bits of wire, heat shrink, connectors etc.
Right then, so, that's the plan. I have already bought the majority of the mechanical parts and borrowed a friends UP! 3d printer to produce the requisite printed parts. Annoyingly, all I'm waiting for now is some friking M5x10mm machine screws (which you need loads of), I could have just bought these off the shelf but instead  included then in an order to RS but for some reason they are being shipped from the UK and now I have to twiddle my thumbs while I wait for them - I know I could just go and buy some but it's the principal at stake here.

So, that, I think, will do for now. To conclude, here is pretty picture of all the bits I've got so far, I am disconcertingly excited about joining all these bits together to make a shiny machine!




2 comments:

  1. Can't say I understood much of that, but way to go for educating the peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know where to find the x-ends to acme lead screw for mendelmax 1.5? Thanks

    ReplyDelete